Decorating your first room can be terrifying. Following these tips can give you a great insight into becoming an instant decorative pro!
1. Give your furniture some breathing room – If you’re working with a tight budget this tip can come as great news. Overcrowding a room can take away from the design, allow yourself to spend more on quality pieces rather than stuffing it with useless finds.
2. Choose paint color last – There are thousands of paint colors with various tints, tones and shades. And each one looks different from home to home, because light sources vary, meaning what looks good in your current home might not in your new one. You want the color that best complements your upholstery, artwork, rug and whatever else. You can pick that color only if your stuff is actually inside your home.
3. Scaling artwork relative to the wall – It is best to hang artwork and other wall pieces approximately 60 inches from the ground (average human eye level).
4. Understand importance of rug placement – Placement of a rug can do wonders for a room. It can help open it up and make it feel more spacious but can also make the room cozy depending on the size of the rug.
5. Resist the urge to over decorate – Many first time homeowners tend to follow themes they find in magazines and on TV. However, these looks lack individuality. Allow yourself to open up and express yourself through your own design and imagination
6. Make a focal point in the room – In creating a focal point it gives you the opportunity to set a theme and decorate things around it. Whatever the focal point may be, make sure that it will draw attention to anyone who may walk in the room.
7. Be careful what you buy – Just because something looks great in the store does not mean it will look great when you set it up at home. Picture everything being in your home before making a purchase.
8. Add layers of lighting – In a room where everything is lit evenly, it is difficult for anything to stand out. Adding layers of lighting like lower lighting and table lamps allows guests to analyze the room more clearly.
9. Be Bold – Personality is what makes a space stand out. Make your room the way you like it and have fun while doing it. The more attempts you make at decorating your room the more you’ll understand your own style and be able to see what works and what doesn’t.
10. Be creative – It is necessary to give yourself an initial set of guidelines. With that being said, it is YOUR room and you can decorate it the way you like it.